JJ Abrams has been officially confirmed as the director of Star Wars: Episode VII, Lucasfilm has announced.
The filmmaker had previously ruled himself out of the job, citing his loyalty to the Star Trek franchise he's successfully resurrected.
Abrams, who will direct a script from Little Miss Sunshine/Toy Story 3 scriptwriter Michael Arndt, was confirmed as director in a statement released on Friday night.
"It's very exciting to have JJ aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie," said executive producer Kathleen Kennedy.
"JJ is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture."
Star Wars creator George Lucas added: "I've consistently been impressed with JJ as a filmmaker and storyteller. He's an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."
"To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honour," JJ Abrams said. "I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid."
The seventh Star Wars film is due for release in 2015.