UK & World News
Algeria Siege: Norwegians Confirmed Dead
Two Norwegian oil workers have been confirmed dead after the al Qaeda hostage crisis in Algeria last week.
Norwegian oil firm Statoil confirmed the deaths following the siege at the Amenas gas plant.
The firm said three others were still listed as missing though the Foreign Ministry said these employees were also presumed dead.
The Algerian government has said it believes 37 foreign hostages of eight nationalities and one Algerian worker were killed during the crisis at the desert gas plant.
Algerian Prime Minister Abdelmalek Sellal said 29 of the militants who overran the facility had been killed and three captured alive.
Three Britons are known to have died and three more are believed to be dead. A UK resident from Colombia is also thought to have died.
The British oil company BP jointly ran the plant together with the Algerian state oil company Sonatrach and Norway's Statoil.
David Cameron has insisted responsibility for the deaths "lies squarely with the terrorists".
Hello, regular commenting on Orange News and Sport pages closes on Thursday 30 May 2013. We will continue to provide a commenting facility on major news and sport events on orangeworld.co.uk. Contact us via http://oran.ge/OWfeedback if you have any further questions. Thanks.