UK & World News
Deadly Shootout At Hotel In Afghan Capital
Four gunmen who stormed a hotel used by foreigners in the Afghan capital Kabul have been killed in a shootout with security forces.
The Taliban have claimed responsibility for the attack at the Serena hotel.
The militants, who appeared to be aged under 18, are thought to have entered the hotel with guns hidden in their socks and waited three hours before opening fire on guests celebrating the Afghan new year.
Two guards were wounded, but no other casualties are reported.
One person who was taken to safety along with other guests said the shooting began in the hotel restaurant.
Another guest, who locked themselves in their bathroom, said they heard a bomb followed by gunshots.
The hotel is considered the safest place to stay in Kabul, with visitors entering through an exterior gate and a checkpoint.
It is home to many United Nations staff and foreign delegations who have arrived to monitor next month's presidential election.
Six people were killed at the hotel by a suicide bomber in 2008, which led to security being tightened up.
The Taliban have intensified attacks ahead of the April 5 poll, which will choose a successor to President Hamid Karzai.
They say the vote is illegal because foreign troops are in the country.
Earlier in the day at least 11 people were killed in a suicide bomb and gun attack on a police station in the southern city of Jalalabad.