UK & World News
Robber Is One Of 90 On Run From Same Prison
A convict on the run from an open prison is one of nearly 90 currently at large from the same jail.
Police have warned that David Blood, who absconded from Ford Prison in West Sussex on Thursday, may pose "a threat to the public".
The 48-year-old is one of the latest inmates to go on the run from the jail, with Sussex police revealing there are 89 convicts missing from Ford, including a number of murderers, and some who have been missing for years.
It is thought to be the second time Blood has escaped from an open prison. It is understood he went missing from HMP Sudbury in Derbyshire in April 2012.
On that occasion, he was not found until almost three months later.
Blood was jailed for life at Stafford Crown Court in 2003 after he was convicted of robbing a post office in Sutton Coldfield in the West Midlands with a number of other men in December 2000.
PC Stephen Reed said: "Because of Blood's record, we have to consider that he could pose a threat to the public.
"I would urge anyone that sees him to contact us on 999 rather than approaching him."
Police have described Blood as 6ft 1in tall (1.85m), of small build with brown eyes and cropped black hair. He is known to have links in Staffordshire and Warwickshire.
Blood's escape is the latest in a spate of inmates absconding from open prisons.
The most high-profile offender to go missing was the violent armed robber Michael Wheatley - known as Skullcracker.
Wheatly carried out a raid on a building society while on the run after being let out of the Standford Hill prison in Kent last month.
He was later jailed for life.
The latest escape came as another convicted robber who had failed to return to Ford on May 22 handed himself into police.
Simon Rhodes-Butler - who robbed a garage owner of his watch in March 2011 - has been charged with escaping lawful custody.
His capture brings to 89 the number of inmates at large from the prison.
In a statement Sussex police said: "Some have been missing for a matter of weeks but others have been missing for a number of years.
"We are focused on returning each and every one of these people to prison."
A Ministry of Justice spokesman said: "The Justice Secretary has been clear that keeping the public safe is our priority and has already ordered major changes to tighten up temporary release processes and open prison eligibility.
"Absconds have reached record lows under this Government - down 80% over the last 10 years - but each and every incident is taken seriously, with the police contacted as a matter of urgency.
"Open prisons and temporary licence are an important tool in rehabilitating long-term offenders but not at the expense of public safety."