UK & World News
Arnie Gets Back To His 'Barbarian' Roots
Former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger is reprising one of his most famous movie roles - Conan The Barbarian.
Universal Pictures said Schwarzenegger, 65, will play the sword-swinging hero in The Legend Of Conan, 30 years after the film that launched the Austrian body-builder as a Hollywood star.
"I always loved the Conan character, and I'm honoured to be asked to step into the role once again," Schwarzenegger said in a statement.
The original films, Conan The Barbarian in 1982 and Conan The Destroyer two years later, together grossed more than $70m (£43.5m) at the US box office.
A 2011 remake, with Game Of Thrones star Jason Momoa, failed to repeat the success of its predecessors, earning only $21m (£13m) at the North American box office, according to film tracking site BoxOfficeMojo.com.
The new Conan film is the latest Hollywood venture by Schwarzenegger since the action movie hero ended his term as governor of California in January 2011.
He starred alongside Hollywood's veteran action heroes in this summer's The Expendables 2, and is lined up to star in five other films, including thriller Ten and Triplets, a sequel to his hit 1988 comedy Twins alongside co-star Danny DeVito.
Republican Schwarzenegger also has launched a global policy think-tank in his name at the University of Southern California.
Earlier in October he released a memoir called Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life.
The book revealed details of the child Schwarzenegger fathered with his family's housekeeper 15 years ago, while married to Maria Shriver.
Hello, regular commenting on Orange News and Sport pages closes on Thursday 30 May 2013. We will continue to provide a commenting facility on major news and sport events on orangeworld.co.uk. Contact us via http://oran.ge/OWfeedback if you have any further questions. Thanks.