UK & World News
Auto-Correct Adults 'Definitely' Can't Spell
Computer auto-correct technology has left many British adults unable to spell simple words such as "definitely" and "separate", a Mencap survey has found.
The research suggests that the UK has produced an "auto-correct generation" that relies on spell checks to get common words right.
The poll, which questioned more than 2,000 adults, found that around a third could not spell "definitely", while a similar proportion failed to pick the right spelling of "separate".
And around two-thirds (65%) picked a wrong spelling for "necessary" from a list that did not include the right spelling.
But while many adults struggle to spell these simple words, the poll also found that three-quarters of those questioned (76%) think they are good at spelling, with 96% saying that spelling is important.
And many people are relying on spell checks - 18% said they use one all the time, while a further 21% said they rely on them most of the time. Fewer than one in 10 (9%) said they never use a spell check.
The survey was commissioned to mark Mencap's Spellathon Championships, which take place this week.
Mencap chief executive Mark Goldring said: "With over two-thirds of Britons now having to rely on spell check, we are heading towards an auto-correct generation.
"This survey has highlighted that many Britons have a false impression about their spelling ability.
"Today's tough economic climate means that poor spelling on a CV is fatal, as it says that an individual cannot produce work to a given standard, no matter how highly qualified they might be.
"Language used by a company or person is a reflection of their attitude, capabilities and skill."
:: Take The Test Yourself
1. Please look at the sentence and select from the options given which one you think should go in the blank space: "______ are no excuses this time, spelling is very important."a. Theirb. Therec. They'red. None of thesee. Don't know
2. Please look at the sentence and select from the options given which one you think should go in the blank space. "I'm afraid ____ going to be a very long season this year for Manchester City FC."a. It'sb. Itsc. None of thesed. Don't know
3. Please select which of the following is the correct spellinga. Deffinitelyb. Definatelyc. Definitelyd. None of thesee. Don't know
4. Please select which of the following is the correct spellinga. Sepparateb. Seperatec. Separate
5. Please select which of the following is the correct spellinga. Neccessaryb. Necessarryc. Neccessarryd. None of thesee. Don't know
Scroll down for the answers - and no cheating...
Answers:1. b2. a3. c4. c5. d - correct spelling is necessary