News In Depth
Bahraini people's 'rage' continues
Growing calls for this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix to be cancelled come after more than a year of unrest in the country.
Thousands of anti-government protesters began their demonstrations against the ruling al-Khalifa royal family in February last year.
The protesters' "Day of Rage" on February 14 2011 was inspired by popular upheavals in Egypt and Tunisia as they called for greater political freedoms in the Gulf kingdom.
After a month of further clashes, Saudi troops were deployed in Bahrain at the ruling family's request to crack down on the demonstrators, with authorities declaring martial law.
It was followed by talks between opposition and pro-government groups in June last year in an effort to heal deep rifts opened during the protests.
But Wefaq - Bahrain's main opposition group - said it planned to pull out of dialogue set up by the government as its views were not being taken seriously.
Bahrain's King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa announced constitutional amendments in January this year, with the stated aim of giving parliament more powers of scrutiny over government.
But opposition groups said the changes, which included increasing powers to question and remove ministers and withdraw confidence in the cabinet, fell short of their demands.
Violent clashes have since reignited more than a year after the start of the protests.
Hundreds of thousands of demonstrators gathered for one of the biggest anti-government rallies to date in March, calling for the downfall of the king and the release of imprisoned political leaders.
Despite government promises of reform, Amnesty International says human rights violations are continuing in the Gulf kingdom following 14 months of protests and the deaths of many protesters.
In a report, the charity said it had evidence of people being kept in prison for participating in anti-government demonstrations without using violence.
The charity added that the Bahraini authorities were "more concerned with rebuilding their image" than introducing human rights and political reforms.
The report concluded that recommendations made by the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry in November have been "only partially and superficially" implemented.
Amnesty said investigations into allegations of torture and unlawful killings have been "shrouded in secrecy" and only nine low-ranking policemen have been put on trial.
With Formula One teams arriving in Bahrain for the Grand Prix, the latest skirmishes have taken place in Salmabad, a village six miles from the centre of the capital Manama and 11 miles north of the Bahrain International Circuit where the race is due to be held.
A 2,000-strong group of men, women and children marched through the streets calling for the end of the reign of King Hamad, whose minority Sunni government rules over a majority Shia population.
The violence has also seen F1's Force India team caught up in a petrol bomb attack, with two members flying backing to the UK.
Labour leader Ed Miliband and shadow home secretary Yvette Copper have now added their calls for the race to be cancelled.
However, despite scrapping last year's Bahrain Grand Prix, F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone said he has no intention of calling off this weekend's race.
Prime Minister David Cameron said it was "a matter for Formula One", adding: "It's important that peaceful protests are allowed to go on."