UK & World News
BBC Boss 'Appalled' About Jimmy Savile Claims
The BBC's boss has urged staff to come forward If they have any information about alleged sexual abuses by Sir Jimmy Savile.
Director general George Entwistle said in an email: "I wanted to write to you at the end of what has been a difficult week for the BBC, following allegations from a number of women that Jimmy Savile sexually abused them when they were young teenagers during the 1960s and 1970s.
"Like everyone who works here, I was appalled by the things I saw in the ITV documentary.
"I am determined that the corporation will do absolutely everything it can to help find out what happened.
"I have personally been in touch with the police at a senior level to discuss how we should proceed and I have agreed that we should work closely with them."
A growing number of victims have come forward to allege that Sir Jimmy sexually assaulted them after five women took part in an ITV documentary claiming that they had been abused.
In the film, screened on Wednesday, the alleged victims accused the Jim'll Fix It presenter of sexually assaulting them, some while on BBC premises.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "We are now collating information gathered from a range of sources across the UK and will continue contacting individuals who have made allegations in relation to the late Jimmy Savile over the coming weekend.
"We do not expect to have a clear picture of exactly how many women may have suffered abuse until next week and want to allow time for victims to reflect on what they may have experienced."
The force added that the "assessment of these will take some time and the BBC Investigations Service are fully co-operating with detectives."
St Albans Tory MP Anne Main has also written to Lord Justice Leveson asking him to investigate how the broadcaster handled the allegations as part of his inquiry into press standards.
Former colleagues of Savile have also voiced concern of perceived inappropriate behaviour of the star.
"He took me back to inside the van and when I got inside there were two young girls sitting in the seating area," Dave Cash told Sky News.
"They were there of their own free will, obviously, because we had just come back from a gig."
Mr Cash said although Savile asked him to stay for a drink he decided to go as he was waiting for a lift home.
"But it didn't feel right. It felt horrible."
Broadcaster Janet Street-Porter earlier revealed that she was aware of rumours about the television and radio presenter's alleged abuse of under-age girls when she worked at the BBC in the late 1980s.
She also said there was a culture of inappropriate behaviour behind the scenes of the "male-dominated" entertainment industry, adding that nothing would have been done even if the allegations about the late Top Of The Pops host were raised.
Peter Watt, head of the NSPCC helpline, said: "The NSPCC, working with the Metropolitan Police and other agencies, has been asked to support victims and witnesses following the ITV documentary on Jimmy Savile.
"We are appealing for people to come forward by calling the NSPCC helpline on 0808 800 5000.
"Whilst he can obviously never be tried for these alleged crimes, we can support the victims and identify lessons learned to prevent this from happening again.
"To do this we must have a full picture of what happened and reach all the victims involved."
Hello, regular commenting on Orange News and Sport pages closes on Thursday 30 May 2013. We will continue to provide a commenting facility on major news and sport events on orangeworld.co.uk. Contact us via http://oran.ge/OWfeedback if you have any further questions. Thanks.
what do you think?
Did not one of them think of getting this in the public eye while he was still alive????
well now what are the BBC , Metropolitan Police etc etc going to do ? , dig him up , , or maybe just remember the good stuff
He is looking up at all this exposure ,he now knows why he is in HELL.