UK & World News

  • 29 June 2014, 0:49

Benghazi: Man Denies Part In Consulate Attack

A Libyan militia leader has pleaded not guilty to a terrorism charge relating to the 2012 attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi, that killed four Americans.

Ahmed Abu Khatallah was transferred to the US District Court in Washington on Saturday morning from a Navy warship.

He had been held and interrogated since his June 15 capture by American special operations forces in Libya.

He was charged at an afternoon hearing with conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists resulting in death.

The attack in Benghazi killed US Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.

The charge carries a maximum penalty of life in prison, the Justice Department said. The department said it intended to file additional charges shortly.

Khatallah was not shackled when he appeared before Magistrate Judge John Facciola and kept his hands behind him as he gave answers through an interpreter.

He wore a dark hoodie and black trousers and had long grey hair and a grey beard.

Libyan officials have said the US operation to arrest Khatallah was an attack on their country's sovereignty.

Justice Minister Saleh al Marghani said the suspect should be returned to Libya to face trial.

Khattala was snatched on the outskirts of the city by American special forces working alongside the FBI.

Advertisement