UK & World News
Brazil: Fifa Ponders Luis Suarez Biting Claim
Fifa officials are examiing the evidence against Luis Suarez as calls mount for the Uruguayan to be kicked out of the World Cup for allegedly biting an opponent.
The Liverpool striker shocked the footballing world when he apparently sank his teeth into Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini during their sides Group D game on Tuesday.
Suarez, banned twice before for biting opposing players, could be expelled from the tournament if found guilty.
He and Uruguayan officials had until 9pm UK time to submit evidence to a disciplinary panel set up by Fifa, football's world governing body.
Sky' football correspondent Paul Kelso, in Rio de Janeiro, said the panel will have to make a decision quickly.
"There is a chance we could hear this evening or they may want to sleep on it and make a decision tomorrow," he said
"But whatever happens time is pretty short. Uruguay's next game is against Columbia here in Rio on Saturday .
"They will need a decision and time for an appeal by Suarez and the Uruguayan FA."
Earlier a senior Fifa official told Sky News Suarez "must face a severe sanction" if found 'guilty' of biting Chiellini. "If we allow this where will it stop?" he asked.
Uruguay trained in Natal on Wednesday morning, but Suarez and his teammates who played against Italy were given a day off to rest.
Suarez has already commented on the incident, declaring: "These things happen on the pitch."
The striker clashed with Chiellini in the 79th minute of Tuesday's match, which Uruguay won 1-0 to advance to the last 16.
Television replays show Suarez moving his head towards Chiellini and apparently sinking his teeth into his shoulder, with Chiellini responding by swinging his arm.
Defending the alleged attack, Suarez said: "We were both just inside the area, he struck me in the chest with his shoulder and he hit me in the eye as well.
"These are things that happen on the pitch and you shouldn't attach so much importance to them."
Speaking to Rai TV after the game, Chiellini said: "It was ridiculous not to send Suarez off.
"It is clear, clear-cut and then there was the obvious dive afterwards because he knew very well that he did something that he shouldn't have done."
Article 77 of Fifa's disciplinary code allows it to hit players with retrospective bans of up to two years if it decides there is a case to answer.
Both Adidas and betting firm 888poker - two of Suarez's key sponsors - have announced they are reviewing their relationship with the player following the alleged bite.
Suarez served a 10-match ban last year for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic.
Before his move to Liverpool in 2011, he was suspended for seven matches by the Netherlands football federation after biting PSV Eindhoven's Otman Bakkal when he played for Ajax.
The latest incident has been condemned by football professionals around the world, with many stating Suarez needs help.
"This is behaviour that's happened two times (before). You cannot justify it. I seriously think he needs help," said Everton manager Roberto Martinez.
Former Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler said he was "flummoxed" by the case and the Anfield club should now try to sell Suarez.
"You can't defend him," Fowler said. "I love him as a player, but you cannot condone what he has done."