UK & World News

  • 8 April 2014, 1:04

Brit Killed On Costas: 'Mummy, Daddy's Dead'

The ex-wife of millionaire businessman Andrew Bush, who was shot dead at his home on Spain's Costa del Sol, learnt of his killing when their daughter phoned to say: "Mummy, daddy's dead".

Mr Bush, 48, originally from Bristol, was found lying in a pool of blood with two gunshot wounds to his head at about3am on Saturday.

Police are looking for Mr Bush's ex-girlfriend, named as Mayka Kukucova, who is thought to have left the property in the businessman's Hummer.

The victim's ex-wife, former HTV news reader and BBC Radio Bristol presenter Sam Mason, and daughter, 19-year-old Ellie Mason-Bush, flew to the Costa del Sol on Sunday.

Ms Mason said: "I got a phone call from my daughter at about 8.30am on Saturday morning. She said 'Mummy, daddy's dead'."

"I told her not to be silly. She was quite hysterical. She said 'Daddy's dead, he's been shot'.

"I'm here to be here with my daughter, she's only 19 and now she is without a father. Ellie has been left without a dad - she's such a daddy's girl."

Ms Mason paid tribute to her ex-husband, who she divorced several years ago, in a post on Facebook from Spain.

She wrote: "RIP dearest Andy. We all loved you so much. Our lives will never be the same again. I promise I will look after our baby for both of us xxx"

Firefighters and police discovered Mr Bush's body after forcing their way into the beachside villa in Estepona where he lived.

The company director's current girlfriend alerted police with an emergency call after the attack.

The pair are said to have been ambushed by MsKukucova.

She is thought to have been lying in wait for them inside the five-bedroom house.

Mr Bush and his current girlfriend, who is reported to be British, had just returned to their home from a trip abroad.

The suspected killer is still on the run after escaping from the scene in the dead man's Hummer vehicle.

A source close to the investigation said: "It is being treated as murder and police are hunting the dead man's ex on suspicion of committing this crime.

"They are probing the possibility she may have let herself into the property while the occupant was away and waited for several days for him to return."

The businessman's body has been taken to Malaga for a post-mortem examination.

Mr Bush owned a number of businesses in Bristol including a jewellery shop, according to reports.

Friend Paul Orchard, who had also been Mr Bush's personal trainer, said he was "devastated".

"It will take me a long time to come to terms with this," he said.

"I've been his personal trainer since last September but I knew him for longer than that.

"We struck a good rapport and I only spoke to him on Friday evening, we were going to meet next week.

"When I was first told, I questioned whether it was true and I kept on saying it can't be. Now I feel just a little bit empty, almost like I'm trying to put pieces together.

"I'm trying to comprehend that it's happened.

"My thoughts go to him and his family. He'll be greatly missed."