UK & World News
'Gas Poison' Deaths: Caravan Park Trio Named
The three people who died of suspected carbon monoxide in Cornwall have been named locally as John and Audrey Cook, and their daughter, Maureen.
Mr Cook, 90, his 86-year-old wife and their 46-year-old daughter were found dead along with a pet dog on Saturday in their static home near†Camborne, Cornwall.
The alarm was raised when a neighbour tried to call in to help the elderly couple.
Devon and Cornwall Police are not treating the deaths as suspicious but it is thought a faulty appliance may be to blame.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas that claims around 50 lives a year and leaves some 200 people seriously ill.
Neighbour Julie Taylor told Sky News how, within hours of hearing of the tragedy, she went out and bought two carbon monoxide alarms: "It's just absolutely devastating.
"Having seen it in the neighbourhood and myself living on my own I went out straight away and bought them.
"It is frightening, you can't hear it, you can't see it, you can't smell it - it is the silent killer."
The Cook family had lived on the peaceful Tremarle Home Park for many years and were well known to neighbours.
Neighbour Andrew Stevenson said he was "very, very shocked".
Mr Stevenson was himself a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning in the 1990s when his chimney became blocked.
He told Sky News it was only his parents' decision to open a window that saved his life.
"I got out and we worked out eventually what caused it.
"It felt like someone had given me a head cold and then I got up in the early hours of the morning and it felt like somebody had rugby tackled me but there was nobody there."
He added: "You need to have a carbon monoxide tester even if it is a basic one."
Emergency services were called to the caravan park where they were living at lunchtime on Saturday after the couple's helper was unable to reach them.
Firefighters broke into their home and found the bodies inside.
what do you think?
Its yet more C-O related deaths that could of been prevented. The IEE needs to bring in a requirement that all electrical installations have smoke and carbon monoxide detection (depending on heating source I.E.if you had night storeage heaters you wouldnt need CO detection) fitted in any residential buliding,perminant or temperary regardless of age. I know that building regs. state that smoke detection is fitted in new builds.
R.i.p.to the trio.also may i take the opportunity of sending shaun my sincere condolences at the news of the loss of his father alan.i very sorry to hear the news and hope you are bearing up okay.xxxx r.i.p xxxx
Oh thanks jane thats a kind thought..been a difficult week though and im not too happy with a doctor at the hospital. besides that im fine.
Shaun. Condolences from me as well. xxx R.I.P to the family who died in the caravan
Sorry to hear that, Shaun. My best wishes to you and your family. PS to Julie: I'm guessing someone made a mistake with a thumbs down!
Hey Shaun I am so sorry
Shaun, my condolences to you and your family, I've been there and it ain't easy. Hang in there, x
Oh thank you everybody.very kind and touching.
ANY dwelling with equipment producing exhaust gas should have CO detectors fitted as mandatory - period!!!
Unfortunately these seem to be calor gas type (bottled Gas) heaters, like gas fires. If its not been used for a while dust builds up to either block the flue or disable the ignition process. Allowing the gas to escape but not be lit properly. My own gas fire at home was unused as we have the central heating on in the winter. I had a gas fitter in to check the gas boiler as we rebuilt/ refurbished the kitchen ( gas fitter/plumber/electrician, three certificates) The gas ignition wiring on the fire had a spiders web across the contacts and would not allow the fire/gas to ignite fully and therefore giving off a partially burnt flame. Just brushing, with a soft brush whilst switched off and checking the flue sorted the problem that took just five minutes or less. I bought a carbon test meter from B&Q for around £12 which is now on all of the time ( AA battery powered) with a constantly flashing green light every minute or so and a red light and very high pitched shrill warning alarm if there is a leak of any kind from either the fire or gas central heating boiler. Well worth the money to save lives!
What a sad story. Please, if you have gas, buy a CO2 detector. I would not be without ours.