UK & World News
Chemical Experts Investigate Mystery Tent Death
Chemical and radiation experts were called in following the unexplained death of a man found inside a tent in a field.
A passer-by discovered the body while walking in the Port Meadow area of Wolvercote, Oxford, at around 12.25pm.
A strong chemical odour prompted officials to cordon off the area as specially-trained CBRN (chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear) officers were sent to the scene.
The chemical involved in the alert was suspected to be hydrogen sulphide, which can lead to death within minutes when inhaled.
Sushila Dhall, chair of Oxford Pedestrians Association, told the Oxford Mail: "I tried to get onto the meadow but I was turned away and was told there had been a toxic spillage.
"There were people in full-body suits and police are stopping people from going onto the meadow."
Police said the death was being treated as unexplained but "at this time" there appeared to be no suspicious circumstances.
Superintendent Steve Hockin, of Thames Valley Police, said: "Early indications are that the chemical involved in the death of the man is hydrogen sulphide, but emergency services are working together to examine the scene and recover the body as safely as possible."