UK & World News
Chicago Park Shooting: Child Among 13 Injured
A three-year-old boy who was among 13 people injured in a shooting in Chicago is said to be doing well as he is treated in hospital.
The child and two others were earlier reported to be in a critical condition following the attack in a park in the city's Back of the Yards neighbourhood late on Thursday.
Authorities said the shooting was likely to be gang-related and no one was believed to be in custody.
The three-year-old child was reportedly wounded in the cheek. Rev. Corey Brooks spoke to the boy's relatives and said the youngster was resting with his mother.
"He was talking when they first brought him in, but he's heavily sedated now," he said.
The youngster's grandmother Semecha Nunn said: "They say he's good. They're going to have to do a little plastic surgery on him, but he's OK."
A witness, Julian Harris, told the Chicago Sun-Times that dreadlocked men fired at him from a car before turning toward Cornell Square Park and firing at people.
He said his three-year-old nephew was wounded in the cheek.
"They hit the light pole next to me, but I ducked down and ran into the house," Mr Harris said.
"They've been coming round here looking for people to shoot every night, just gang-banging stuff. It's what they do."
Francis John, 70, said she was in her apartment when the attack happened.
She said she went down to see what was going on and "a lot of youngsters were running scared".
Ms John said she was surprised by what had happened, saying she has lived in the area for 30 years.
She told the Chicago Sun-Times there has not been much gun violence in the neighbourhood in recent years.
FBI figures have shown that Chicago has overtaken New York to become the murder capital of the US with 500 deaths in the last year.
President Barack Obama returned to his adopted hometown earlier this year to appeal for an end to the "senseless" gun violence ravaging Chicago.
He pressed for ambitious gun control measures, which so far have been stalled in the US Congress.