UK & World News
Richard III's Burial Place Decided By Court
Judges have ruled King Richard III should be buried in Leicester after distant relatives lost their High Court battle over the monarch's final resting place.
Archaeologists uncovered the bones of the king, who was killed at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485, in a car park in the city two years ago.
The plan has been for the remains to be reinterred in the cathedral.
But relatives of the last king of the Plantagenet dynasty argued a licence issued by the Ministry of Justice was legally flawed and that York was a more suitable spot.
They demanded a public consultation and said that the Queen and distant relatives should have a say.
Three High Court judges have disagreed with the family, saying it is now "time for King Richard III to be given a dignified reburial, and finally laid to rest".
After he died, Richard's body was taken to Leicester by supporters of the victorious Henry VII and buried in Greyfriars church, now the site of the council car park.
But the relatives' Plantagenet†Alliance claimed it had been the wish "of the last mediaeval king of England" - who was also known as Richard of York - to be buried at York Minster.
Stressing the importance of the issue, Gerard Clarke said the last English king to die in battle ''is not just any old bones''.
But judges at the High Court found there were no legal grounds for intervening over the reburial plans in Leicester.
They said in a joint ruling: "Since Richard III's exhumation on September 5, 2012, passions have been roused and much ink has been spilt.
"Issues relating to his life and death and place of reinterment have been exhaustively examined and debated."
Mr Grayling welcomed the court ruling but said he was "frustrated and angry that the Plantagenet Alliance - a group with tenuous claims to being relatives of Richard III - have taken up so much time and public money".
Bishop of Leicester Tim Stevens said: "We are, of course, delighted. Here in the cathedral, in the diocese, in the city, in the county, we've waited a long time for this."
And Dean of Leicester, The Very Reverend David Monteith, said: "The last few days have been nail-biting and I felt I have been carrying anxiety and excitement about what they might say so I'm relieved it's now laid out in public with such clarity".
The reinterment is due to take place next spring following a week of events that will see the remains taken to the scene of the Battle of Bosworth.
A new visitor centre at the site of the dig is due to open in July, which is expected to attract 100,000 visitors in its first year and generate £4.5m for the local economy.
The leading archaeologist on the dig, Richard Buckley, from the University of Leicester said he was "absolutely delighted" with the result.
As for the Plantagenet Alliance... defeat, they say, is "highly regrettable" and they may appeal the ruling.