David Letterman Top 10 Late Show Moments
David Letterman always compiled a top 10 list for the Late Show. Here is our top 10 memorable moments of his show.
10. Bill Murray appeared on the very first episode of NBC's Late Night with Letterman where he sang Olivia Newton-John's song Physical. He fired false accusations at the new host in a pre-arranged comedy sketch. Murray appeared on Late Night 10 times and has been on the Late Show 20 times so far.
9. In 1987 actor Crispin Glover left viewers shocked by turning up in a wig and platform shoes and in a belligerent mood. In the rambling interview, where he was promoting the film River's Edge, he challenged the talk show host to an arm wrestle and almost kicked him in the head. The interview ended with Letterman walking off stage, saying: "I'm going to go and check on the top 10."
8. In 1995 the normally unflappable Letterman was left shocked when Drew Barrymore danced seductively on his desk and then flashed her chest at him with her back to the camera. It was his birthday. Letterman said: "I wish more of our guests would consider that kind of thing." Nine years later, singer Courtney Love did the same thing on top of Letterman's desk.
7. Farrah Fawcett appeared on the show in 1997 where she seemed to be under the influence of drinks or drugs. Letterman struggled to keep her attention as she constantly looked away from him at the audience and told him rambling anecdotes.
6. In January 2000 Letterman was rushed to hospital for a quintuple heart bypass. When he returned to the show in the February he brought out the doctors and nurses who had treated him and thanked them profusely.
5. In his first show since the 9/11 attacks in New York on September 17, 2001, Letterman opened with an emotional opening segment. He explained why he was back on air and why he felt it was important to continue with the show. He praised New York mayor Rudolph Giuliani and told viewers: "We're told that they were zealots fuelled by religious fervour ? and if you live to be a thousand years old, will that make any sense to you?"
4. In 2005 Letterman also made up with Oprah Winfrey after rumours that the pair were not each other's biggest fans. Winfrey appeared on the show under a banner saying "The Super Bowl Of Love" and Letterman called her "the most loved woman in America".
3. In 2009 Joaquin Phoenix took to the stage in sunglasses and with a big bushy beard. The awkward interview where Phoenix mumbled incoherently turned out to be a spoof as the actor spent 18 months giving a convincing portrayal of a celebrity going through a public meltdown. Phoenix announced his retirement from acting and said he would instead become a hip hop artist.
2. In the same year viewers were left stunned when Letterman admitted to a string of affairs with a number of women who worked on the show. His confession came in the form of a long story about a blackmail threat from a man who was going to write a film about his affairs unless he was given millions of dollars.
1. Last year troubled actress Lindsay Lohan appeared on the show for an interview which left her in tears. Letterman received some criticism for his treatment of Lohan, who was meant to be promoting Scary Movie V, and the questions he aimed at her. As the host read out a list of Lohan's misdemeanours and problems with the police she said: "I thought you were going to be nice." The actress cried when Letterman praised her for her positivity and bravery for coming on to the show.