UK & World News
Dowler Phone-Hacking Claims 'Disgusted' Brooks
The husband of ex-News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks has told a court the couple were "disgusted" by allegations murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler's phone was hacked.
Charlie Brooks was giving evidence in his defence at the Old Bailey where he denies a charge of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.
Mr Brooks, 51, told the phone-hacking trial that on the day the claim was made public, July 4, 2011, the couple were guests at the home of James Murdoch.
He said they felt the information had been deliberately leaked to the media by the police and wondered if it was "a political hit" aimed at thwarting a bid by NI's parent company to takeover the broadcaster BSkyB.
"There was too much substance to it, it was more than our enemies trying to de-rail the Sky bid," said Mr Brooks.
"Has it really happened? Have we really deleted Milly Dowler's voicemails? It was disgusting."
He said the claims had left his wife "really under the cosh" and that "the wolves were after her".
Mr Brooks added that his wife, 45, lived with a "paranoia" of being arrested in a dawn raid by police and of photographers getting a "killer photo" of her being led away in handcuffs by officers.
Charlie and Rebekah Brooks along with five other defendants deny the charges. The trial was later adjourned for the day.