UK & World News
Egypt's Entire Cabinet Resigns Amid Strikes
Egypt's interim prime minister Hazem el Beblawi has announced the resignation of his entire cabinet.
Mr Beblawi gave no clear reason for the decision, but it could be designed to allow army chief Abdel Fattah al Sisi to run in April's presidential elections.
Field Marshal Sisi needed to resign from his position as defence minister before any presidential bid could be announced.
A limited reshuffle to allow his resignation had been planned for weeks - so Monday's announcement surprised many.
"Today the cabinet took a decision to offer its resignation to the president of the republic," Mr Beblawi said in a televised statement.
Mr Beblawi was appointed interim prime minister last July after the army toppled president Mohamed Morsi following mass protests.
The government stepping down comes amid widespread strikes in the country.
Public transport workers and bin collectors are picketing and there have been media reports of shortages in cooking gas.
Mr Beblawi has been criticised for failing to resolve the country's economic woes.
There was also criticism for his security forces following terror attacks blamed on militants sympathetic to Mr Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood.
While acknowledging some difficulties, the outgoing prime minister claimed Egypt was a better place now than when he took office.
"The cabinet has, over the past six or seven months, shouldered a very difficult responsibility," he said.
"In most cases the results were good."
The resignations were delivered to interim president Adly Mansour, who will remain head of state until April's elections.
:: Watch Sky News live on television, on Sky channel 501, Virgin Media channel 602, Freeview channel 82 and Freesat channel 202.