UK & World News
Savile: Ex-BBC Radio Producer Denies Abuse
Ex-BBC radio producer Ted Beston has "vehemently denied" historic allegations put to him by police investigating the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal.
Mr Beston was arrested by Operation Yewtree detectives on Wednesday morning on suspicion of sexual offences, then later bailed until February.
In a statement released through his solicitors, the 76-year-old said he was shocked by the allegations.
"Mr Beston vehemently denies the historic allegations put to him by the police," it said.
"When the Savile story surfaced in October, Mr Beston made clear then that he was shocked by the allegations.
"For the time being, Mr Beston will be saying nothing further and we request that Mr Beston, who is now 76, be allowed to deal with these false claims without undue intrusion."
The statement added: "What emerged in October 2012 was a side of Savile that Mr Beston never knew."
Operation Yewtree detectives are looking at three strands within their inquiry: claims against Savile, those against Savile and others, and those against others.
Mr Beston, was arrested under the strand of the investigation termed "Savile and others".
He is the eighth person to be detained in the probe, which was launched in the wake of the Savile sex abuse scandal.
Other high-profile names arrested by detectives include former pop star Gary Glitter, comedian Freddie Starr and publicist Max Clifford.
Starr and Clifford have been bailed to dates in February and March pending further enquiries.
Glitter, whose real name is Paul Gadd, and a man in his 70s, reported to be former television producer Wilfred De'Ath, were previously bailed to dates in February.
A total of 450 complaints have so far been made against Savile himself, mainly alleging sexual abuse.