UK & World News
Fabrice Muamba Is Released From Hospital
Bolton Wanderers midfielder Fabrice Muamba, who suffered a cardiac arrest during an FA Cup match last month, has been released from hospital.
A spokesman for Barts Health NHS Trust said: "Barts Health can confirm that Fabrice Muamba has now been discharged following several weeks of treatment. All our staff wish him the very best in his ongoing recovery."
In a statement, Muamba said: "I am naturally very pleased to be discharged from hospital and would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to every single member of staff at The London Chest Hospital who have played a part in my care.
"Their dedication, professionalism and expertise is simply amazing and I will forever be in their debt. I also wish to say thank you to all the many well-wishers who have sent thousands of messages of support.
"Now I am out of hospital, I am looking forward to continuing my recovery and spending precious time with my family."
Bolton Wanderers manager Owen Coyle said: "It is absolutely fantastic news that Fabrice has been discharged from hospital and everyone at the club is delighted.
"We would also like to add our thanks to the staff at The London Chest Hospital for their care and treatment of Fabrice, which has been outstanding.
"It is important that Fabrice and his family are now given time and space to be together, and we would ask the media to continue to respect their privacy."
Muamba collapsed on the pitch during the first half of Bolton's FA Cup quarter-final against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane, in London, on March 17.
The 23-year-old received treatment on the field before being rushed to hospital.
It later emerged he was effectively dead for 78 minutes while medics tried to restart his heart.
The former England Under-21 international was given 15 electric shocks before his heart started beating again - two on the pitch, one in the tunnel, and another 12 in the ambulance.
Two-weeks-ago, Dr Andrew Deaner, the cardiologist and Tottenham fan who leapt from his seat in the crowd and rushed on to the pitch to help the player, described Muamba's recovery as "miraculous".
However, it is still unknown whether Muamba will play professional football again.
After he was discharged, Muamba's fiancee Shauna Magunda, who has tweeted regularly during his recovery, wrote on Twitter: "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen - Hebrew 11:1. God was and always is in control."
Others also took to the site to comment on the news.
Former footballer turned TV presenter Gary Lineker said: "I see Fabrice Muamba has been released from hospital. How good is that? #miraculous."
Messages of support and goodwill have been flooding in for Muamba during the past month, while there have been public displays of support in grounds across Europe.
The player was also visited by Premiership stars including Chelsea's Ashley Cole, QPR's Shaun Wright-Phillips and Arsenal's Johan Djourou during his time in hospital.
Hello, regular commenting on Orange News and Sport pages closes on Thursday 30 May 2013. We will continue to provide a commenting facility on major news and sport events on orangeworld.co.uk. Contact us via http://oran.ge/OWfeedback if you have any further questions. Thanks.
what do you think?
Great news to hear!
fantastic news.....well done fab !! onwards and upwards ! ...... bless u
Glad you are better!
Glad that you are now out of hospital. Hope you are soon back to good health.
Hope you are soon back to full health and playing again soon.
Most definitely! Now faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen - Hebrews 11...