UK & World News
Hillsborough: Families Seek New Inquests
Lawyers acting on behalf of families of those killed in the Hillsborough disaster are writing to the Attorney General to demand fresh inquests in Liverpool.
The Hillsborough Families Support Group (HFSG) has met with lawyers and say their priorities are now to fight for new inquests, demand a full investigation into criminal prosecutions against all those responsible and, where appropriate, apply for civil proceedings.
They were meeting for the first time on Sunday after the findings of the Hillsborough Independent Panel were published.
Its report revealed a cover-up by the authorities, which attempted to shift the blame for the tragedy from the police on to the victims.
The report also concluded that 41 of the 96 lives lost during the crush at Sheffield Wednesday's stadium on April 15, 1989, could have been saved.
The panel found that 164 police statements were altered, 116 of them to remove or alter "unfavourable" comments about the policing of the match and the unfolding disaster.
Margaret Aspinall, who lost her son James, 18, said emotions at the meeting at Anfield were running high.
She told Sky News the families are being told over the coming days whether their loved ones were among the 41 who could have been saved.
Trevor Hicks whose daughters Sarah and Victoria died in the crush, told Sky News the main priority is new inquests.
Mr Hicks said: "I think it's almost certain there will be fresh inquests. Clearly the accidental death verdict can't stand now."
The families are now urging the attorney general to apply for a new inquest as soon as possible and say they feel strongly that the new inquest should be held in Liverpool, not Sheffield.
A document drawn up by the HFSG during the meeting states: "The fans did not contribute to the tragedy.
"Any blame previously laid at their door has been shown to be part of a despicable conspiracy by those in authority to tarnish the reputations of the dead, the survivors of the disaster and the people of Liverpool.
"This conspiracy has been revealed for what it is; a bit to avoid accountability. Those responsible can avoid accountability no longer."
The statement continues: "The families believe that prosecutions must be brought not only against those whose actions caused the distress, injury and loss of life on the day, but also those who altered the written witness evidence, spread deceitful and hurtful lies and otherwise acted to suppress the truth for the last 23 years."