UK & World News
Fire Starts As 'Devastated' Newlyweds Tie Knot
A bride and groom are "devastated" after a large fire reportedly broke out as they walked down the aisle after tying the knot, destroying the 108-year-old venue.
Justice of the Peace Jerry Cibley said he had "literally pronounced them husband and wife and they proceeded down the aisle with the groomsmen and bridesmaids" when he saw smoke.
Mr Cibley said he initially thought it was from a fog machine.
There were around 140-150 people in the building in Foxborough, just outside Boston in Massachusetts, but all reportedly managed to get out safely.
Several onlookers reportedly said the blaze appeared to start in the mulch (material applied to soil) outside the building, which is surrounded by a lake and woods, but it quickly spread to the building itself.
Mr Cibley told the Sun Chronicle: "A couple of people went outside and saw a fire in the newly-applied mulch.
"They put it out with some water and a fire extinguisher and went back inside.
"Then, they discovered it was in the walls so everybody got out of the place."
It took firefighters several hours to bring it under control as flames roared through the roof of the historic venue that first opened in 1906.
He declined to name the newlyweds but said: "The bride and groom are devastated - this was their big day.
"I'm thankful everybody got out safely. It went up so quickly and could have been a lot worse with 140 to 150 people in there."