UK & World News
Football Player, 12, Dies After Ant Bites
A 12-year-old Texas boy has died after apparently suffering a severe allergic reaction to ant bites while warming up for the second half of a football game.
Officials confirmed that Cameron Espinosa died days after being bitten many times by fire ants on Wednesday.
Corpus Christi school district spokeswoman Lorette Williams says the boy used a water bottle to try to remove the ants, but he eventually fell unconscious.
The eighth-grader was taken to hospital in critical condition and died on Monday.
The game resumed after Cameron was transported to hospital, but it was later halted when the severity of his condition became apparent.
Ms Williams says the boy did not know he was allergic to ants and the school district had no record of allergies.