UK & World News
Hostages Free After Taliban Kabul Siege
A siege on a Kabul guesthouse used by foreigners is over after the last remaining Taliban gunman was killed.
An Afghan security force spokesman confirmed all five attackers holed up inside the building had been killed.
Qadam Shah Shaheem, commander of 111 Military Corps Kabul, said the militants detonated several suicide bombs while gunmen stormed the guesthouse, which was being used by a US-based anti-landmine aid group.
They held at least four foreigners hostage for several hours while a gun battle with police ensued.
At least one Afghan child was killed in the attack.
There are thought to have been no foreign casualties.
A witness at the scene saw people being escorted from the building by security forces.
Gunfire and explosions could be heard during the assault, which officials said started with a large car bomb at the building's entrance.
The Taliban, who said they were behind the attack, said the guesthouse was also used as a church.
The assault comes three days after Taliban militants stormed an office of the Independent Election Commission in Kabul, killing five people.
The militants have promised a campaign of violence to disrupt the ballot for the presidential election on April 5, urging their fighters to attack polling staff, voters and security forces in the run-up to election day.