UK & World News
Family Relive Tragedy Of Campsite Girl Death
Relatives of a girl killed in a campsite tragedy have described the moment they discovered the teenager lying unconscious in her tent.
Family members who went camping with Hannah Thomas-Jones said they entered her tent and realised "something was dreadfully wrong".
Hannah, 14, was staying in the same tent as her brother Ben, 11, mother Danielle and step-father Phil.
The family were found unconscious at the Baron at Bucknell site in Shropshire with a disposable barbecue in the porch.
Other relatives - believed to be the sisters of Hannah's mother and their families - were staying nearby in a separate tents.
A family statement, released on behalf of those relatives, said: "We all went to bed at around 10.30pm on Saturday.
"We began to get concerned the following morning due to a lack of activity in Danielle and Phil's tent.
"Upon entering the tent we realised something was dreadfully wrong. We immediately ran to the Baron of Beef pub to raise the alarm and contacted the emergency services.
"The occupants of a nearby tent also assisted in performing CPR on a member of the family and this continued until the emergency services arrived."
Hannah suffered a cardiac arrest at around 10am on Sunday.
A doctor who was also camping at the site was unable to revive her and she was confirmed dead at the scene.
Ben, Danielle and Phil were taken to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning but have now been discharged.
The family statement, which included tributes from the girl's natural father Rick Thomas, said Hannah was a talented pianist and sportswoman.
"Hannah was a beautiful, intelligent, talented sister, daughter, cousin and granddaughter," the statement read.
"She was a talented pianist, a sportswoman and had a wonderful warming sense of humour.
"Hannah was an adorable teenager who will be missed with unimaginable sadness.
"Hannah will be forever in our and many people's memories. The joy that she gave in the short period she graced this earth was a blessing to all.
"We miss and love her so very, very much."
Hannah's classmates and teachers have also paid tribute to their "beautiful" friend.
The girl's friends have posted tributes on a dedicated Facebook page, and Gillian Bremner, the headteacher at Wilmslow High School in Cheshire, where Hannah was a pupil, said she would be "sadly missed".
Detective Inspector Gavin Kinrade from West Mercia police said: "We are treating the girl's death as unexplained, but there do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances.
"It is therefore unlikely we will have any longer-term involvement with this incident."
Mrs Bremner said Hannah's death was a very sad loss for her school, where Hannah was in Year Nine.
"Our sympathies go out to her family at this time after such a tragic incident," she said.
"She was a very able girl and was just about to do a short course in religious studies which we expected her to get an A* in."
Hannah's death is believed to be the fourth linked to carbon monoxide from a barbecue since August last year.
Hello, regular commenting on Orange News and Sport pages closes on Thursday 30 May 2013. We will continue to provide a commenting facility on major news and sport events on orangeworld.co.uk. Contact us via http://oran.ge/OWfeedback if you have any further questions. Thanks.
what do you think?
My Thoughts go out to the family and friend for this tragic accident.
Deepest Sympathy go to all her Family and Friends a very tragic accident
feel very sorry for all of them ,their relatives and particularly the young girl who died , when will people lern that the BBQ is a dangerous item and should be used only as intended .