UK & World News

  • 18 December 2013, 15:27

Grandmother Murder: Man Jailed For Life

A drug addict who murdered his grandmother by stabbing her 50 times in her bed has been sentenced to life in prison.

Police said LouisaDenby was subjected to a "brutal and frenzied attack" at the hands of grandson Nathaniel Flynn, who has never explained why he killed her.

The most likely explanation for why he stabbed the 84-year-old retired teacher to death was that "she got on his nerves", a court heard.

Flynn, who later tried to kill a nine-year-old boy, was told by Mr Justice Keith that he must serve a minimum of 24 years in prison.

The 27-year-old admitted killing Ms Denby at their home in Prospect Mount,Shipley, West Yorkshire, in July, and stabbing Jason D'Arcy in nearby Carnegie skate park later the same day.

Bradford Crown Court heard that Jason suffered a shallow wound to his chest and a much more serious injury to his arm as he tried to defend himself.

Detectives said it was "only through sheer luck that he wasn't murdered".

The child ran home after he was stabbed twice and received first aid from his father Lee D'Arcy, who struggled to call an ambulance because there was so much blood.

The schoolboy later told police: "He went for my heart."

Flynn then tried to entice eight-year-old Ellie Palomar from her garden where she was playing and later assaulted a 59-year-old man outside his home.

Three psychiatrists found that Flynn had no diagnosable mental illness, but said he had been influenced by his heavy, "entrenched" use of cannabis and other drugs.

He was due to go on trial earlier this month but pleaded guilty to charges of murder and attempted murder.

Flynn ordered an SAS survival guide, two knives, tarpaulin and rope from the internet in the days before he killed his grandmother.

Police believe one of the knives was used in the attacks, although the weapon has never been recovered.

The court heard that Flynn was still wearing pyjamas when he walked into Ms Denby's bedroom on the morning of July 1.

He later told a psychiatrist that he thought his grandmother was "deteriorating" and wanted to end it for her, despite there being no evidence from anyone else in the family that Ms Denby had any problems.

The judge heard that he told the doctor: "I got her a cup of tea and said 'I love you' and then I attacked her."

Ms Denby'sfamily said afterwards her "horrific" death had had "a devastating effect" on them.

Detective Chief Inspector Nick Wallen, of West Yorkshire Police, said: "The attack on Louisa was brutal and frenzied and we can only imagine the impact of Flynn's actions upon her family who continue to suffer from the consequences of her loss to this day. Louisawas a lovely lady and our thoughts remain with her family at this time."

:: Watch Sky News live on television, on Sky channel 501, Virgin Media channel 602, Freeview channel 82 and Freesat channel 202.