UK & World News
Hacking: Brooks Cleared But Coulson Guilty
Rebekah Brooks has been cleared of all charges in the phone-hacking trial, while ex-Number 10 spin doctor Andy Coulson has been found guilty of plotting to hack phones.
Jurors at the Old Bailey found former News of the World (NOTW) editor Coulson guilty of conspiring to hack phones with others between 2000 and 2006.
The 46-year-old Coulson, who was forced to quit as Prime Minister David Cameron's communications director over the scandal, now faces the possibility of a prison sentence.
The jury of eight women and three men have so far been unable to reach a verdict on two further charges against Coulson and ex-News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman of conspiring to commit misconduct in a public office by paying police officers for two royal directories.
They deny both of these charges.
The jurors will resume their deliberations at 11am tomorrow.
Mr Cameron on Tuesday apologised for recruiting Coulson, saying: "It was the wrong decision and I am very clear about that."
He stood by his July 2011 pledge to the House of Commons when he said: "If I have been lied to, that would be the moment for profound apology. In that event, I can tell you I will not fall short."
An emotional Mrs Brooks, former chief executive of News International, who was found not guilty of all the charges she faced, was led out of the courtroom upon learning the verdicts.
Brooks, 46, was cleared of hacking, misconduct in a public office for allegedly signing off payments to a Sun journalist's military contact between 2004 and 2012, conspiracy to pervert the course of justice and perverting the course of justice.
Her 52-year-old husband, racehorse trainer Charlie Brooks and News International's former head of security Mark Hanna, 51, were cleared of perverting the course of justice around the time of police searches in July 2011.
Mr and Mrs Brooks left the building holding hands and made no comment to the reporters assembled outside the central London court.
Ex-NOTW managing editor Stuart Kuttner was also cleared of being part of a conspiracy to hack phones dating back to 2000 and spanning six years.
And jurors cleared Cheryl Carter, 50, Mrs Brooks' friend and former personal assistant, of conspiring to pervert the course of justice by removing seven boxes from the NI archive just days before she was arrested in 2011.
The trial heard victims of phone hacking included royals, celebrities, politicians and ordinary members of the public including Kate Middleton and Prince William, Bond star Daniel Craig and murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler.
A spokesman for News UK, formerly known as News International, said: "We said long ago, and repeat today, that wrongdoing occurred, and we apologised for it. We have been paying compensation to those affected and have cooperated with investigations.
"We made changes in the way we do business to help ensure wrongdoing like this does not occur again. And we are strong supporters of the Independent Press Standards Organisation that is expected to begin work this autumn, serving as a watchdog on the industry in the public interest.
"Out of respect for the fact that further legal proceedings will occur, we will have no further comment at this time."
The campaign group Hacked Off said in a statement the trial "shone a light on the appalling, systemic newsroom culture of bullying, lies, intimidation and intrusion that has devastated the lives of many people".