UK & World News
'IRA' Sent Explosive Devices To Army Offices
A group calling itself the IRA has claimed it sent explosive devices sent to armed forces recruitment centres last week - and warned of further attacks.
An emergency meeting of the government's Cobra committee was held on Thursday after a string of crude but potentially explosive devices were mailed to seven Army offices in the south-east of England.
Scotland Yard said: "The claim was received on Saturday, February 15 by a Northern Irish media outlet using a recognised codeword. The claim was allegedly made on behalf of the 'IRA'."
The Irish News said it had received the following statement: "The IRA claims responsibility for the explosive devices that were sent to British armed forces recruitment centres in England.
"Attacks will continue when and where the IRA see fit."
Four devices were discovered at Army careers offices in Oxford, Brighton, Canterbury and the Queensmere shopping centre in Slough last Thursday.
This followed packets sent to Aldershot on Wednesday and Reading and Chatham on Tuesday.
One of the packages bore a Republic of Ireland postmark and the devices were said by the government to have "the hallmarks of Northern Ireland-related terrorism".
The Provisional IRA disbanded after declaring an end to its armed campaign in 2005, but two other groups calling themselves the Real IRA and the Continuity IRA carried out attacks continuing to use the name.
The New IRA formed in 2012 and was linked to letter bombs sent last autumn.
Scotland Yard is urging the public to remain vigilant and report anything suspicious via the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321.