UK & World News
ISIS Member From Scotland 'Killed' In Iraq
The Foreign Office has said it is trying to verify reports a man brought up in Aberdeen has been killed while fighting for militant group ISIS in Iraq.
Abdul Raqib Amin, 26, was killed during fighting with government forces near Ramadi, according to social media reports.
Mr Amin, who goes by the fighter name Abu Bara al Hindi and is originally from Bangladesh, was filmed with two other UK-based men in a recruitment video for the extremist group.
The reports of his death have not been officially confirmed. It will add to his family's anguish because the ungoverned status of large parts of Iraq makes it difficult to secure confirmation.
A statement from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: "We are aware of reports of the death of a British national in Iraq.
"We stand ready to talk to any family who may be affected.
"The UK is deeply concerned by the growth of terrorism in Iraq and Syria, which threatens the people in the entire region and the UK.
"The UK advises against all travel to Syria and much of Iraq and anyone travelling to these areas is exposing themselves to serious risk."
In the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) video, posted to YouTube, Mr Amin appeared alongside students Nasser Muthana and Reyaad Khan - both 20 and from Cardiff. They urged Westerners to join the fighting in Iraq and Syria.
It comes as Iraqi forces were forced to withdraw from the northern city of Tikrit after meeting heavy resistance.
Government troops retreated to a base two and a half miles from the city after coming under heavy mortar and sniper fire.
Tikrit was captured by ISIS militants on June 12 and a push to retake it began at the beginning of July.
ISIS leader Abu Bakr al Baghdadi has proclaimed a caliphate, or Islamic state, twice the size of Israel spanning Iraq and Syria.
The group began seizing territory north of Baghdad last month and has killed captured Iraqi soldiers.
Last month, Home Secretary Theresa May said the latest figures suggest the number of UK-linked individuals who have gone to fight in Syria currently stands at around 400.
She added the the Government would "need to exercise every tool that we have" to prevent them returning home and posing a threat to UK citizens.