UK & World News
Family Killed By Israeli Tank Shell In Gaza
Eight members of the same family have been killed by tank fire in northern Gaza, as the Israeli ground offensive continues.
The members of the Abu Jurad family - two men, two women and four children - were killed in Beit Hanun, emergency services spokesman Ashraf Qudra said.
Israel's military says is ready for a "significant expansion" of a ground offensive that has already claimed the 51 Palestinians and one Israeli soldier.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned: "My instructions are to prepare for the possibility of significantly widening the ground operation, and the military is preparing accordingly."
Mr Netanyahu said a ground assault was the only way to infiltrate Hamas' underground network.
While the United Nations has condemned rocket fire into Israel from Gaza, it says it is "alarmed by Israel's heavy response".
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon is to travel to the region tomorrow to meet Israelis and Palestinians.
The offensive began on Thursday to destroy the weapons arsenal, infrastructure and underground tunnels used by Hamas, Israeli officials say.
The UN has said it is stepping up emergency aid to Gaza, where Israel's military offensive has worsened water shortages and raised fears of increased sewage contamination and water-borne diseases.
On Friday the Israeli Defence Forces reported they had "engaged and killed 17 terrorists".
Israel confirmed 20-year-old Sgt Eitan Barak had been "killed fighting Hamas terrorists".
The country's media is investigating the possibility he was a victim of so-called friendly fire.
Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri called the ground offensive "foolish", adding that Israel would suffer "dreadful consequences".
"Netanyahu is killing our children and will pay the price," he said. "The ground invasion doesn't frighten us and the occupation army will sink in Gaza's mud."
Israel claimed 50 rockets were fired from Gaza overnight - 25 slamming into its territory.
Israeli tanks and troops moved into Gaza following a 10-day campaign of more than 2,000 airstrikes that had failed to halt Hamas rocket fire on Israeli cities.
It is the first major Israeli ground offensive in Gaza in just over five years.
The army has confirmed that a draft of 18,000 additional reserve soldiers has been authorised by the government on top of the 30,000 already deployed.
The ground campaign followed a brief truce on Thursday in which Israel held fire to allow Gazans to stock up on food and other necessities.
More than 270 Palestinians have been killed since fighting began 11 days ago, with another 2,000 injured, according to the health ministry in Gaza.
Figures provided by the Gaza-based Palestinian Centre for Human Rights show that civilians account for more than 80% of the victims of Israel's assault since July 8.
A UN agency has said the number of displaced Gazans has almost doubled in the past 24 hours, hitting more than 45,000 people since the ground operation began.
Israel has confirmed two of its citizens have died.