UK & World News
Jimmy Savile Inquiry To Be Led By Met Police
Scotland Yard is to "work closely" with the BBC as it takes the lead role in assessing allegations against late TV presenter Sir Jimmy Savile.
A growing number of victims have come forward to allege that he sexually assaulted them after five women took part in a documentary claiming that they had been abused .
In the film, screened on Wednesday night, the alleged victims accused the Jim'll Fix It presenter of sexually assaulting them when they were schoolgirls in the late 1960s and 1970s - some while on BBC premises.
MP Anne Main has written to Lord Justice Leveson asking him to investigate how the BBC handled the allegations as part of his inquiry into press standards.
It has emerged this week that Surrey, Sussex and Jersey Police received complaints about Savile in the past but concluded there was not enough evidence to pursue them.
Scotland Yard is currently considering a number of allegations, including an historic rape claim referred to them by Surrey Police, and Northamptonshire has been contacted by two alleged victims.
The Metropolitan Police said the assessment of claims will be led by Detective Superintendent David Gray from the force's Child Abuse Investigation Command, and that a formal investigation had not yet been launched.
The force issued a statement which said: "Our priority will be to ensure a proportionate and consistent policing response putting the victims at the heart of our inquiries. It is too early to say how many individual allegations there are, and we will be making contact with all those concerned in due course.
"We will be working closely with the BBC investigations unit. Anyone else with information is urged to make contact with their local police so that any further information can then be passed to us."
Scotland Yard was appointed to lead the assessment after the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) looked at the claims.
Police across the country have issued advice to anyone who thinks they might be a victim to get in touch with their local force or children's charity the NSPCC for support.
The documentary featured historic accounts, which detailed how the presenter allegedly targeted girls in his BBC dressing room and private Rolls-Royce.
what do you think?
whats the point ,he is dead,what can they do to him.
They can make sure history remembers him as a sexual predator, if that is the case. It all seemed pretty bad after last night.
hated the programme. yes it did look bad, but i dont really care. those women should have spoken up sooner.
That's right, Steven. It needs proper investigating. Hopefully, the police won't cover things up this time - Ian Tomlinson, Hillsborough etc. And, yes, it was already looking bad even before the programme was aired. Justice must be done for these women.
Blanche Yvonne Berry
Maybe they want an apology - but who from ,,,,,,,, The BBC? His relatives? Their relatives? Wonder if there's a book or film in the pipeline ... yuk!
this is dreadful, do we reallly want to know or care. those women awful on tv, where have they been.
What a sickening comment. Children being abused and you say who cares??!!! You have no idea about abuse. Disgusting
Wow wat an attitude to have. Would you still say " do we care" if it was your child or family that was molested, and was to scared to speak out. And in honesty with your attitude god forbid they chose you to confide in
Would it be awful if it was your kids?
Your comment is shocking
This comment has been removed for violations of our Terms and Conditions.
My guess is this is nothing more than people looking to get there name in the paper and get some free cash for there so called story. Before the minus voters come here concider this he is no longer her to defend himself but more than that if they happend so long ago why has it taken people so long to sudently come forward it cant be that they were scared or ashamed because they jumped at the chance to be on a TV show and tell there story. Now i dont know if he did or did not do anything wrong and we shall never know after all anyone can make acusations about someone that is no longer here to defend there name. But again i ask you this if he did what they say he did why has no one ever come forward / contacted the police befor now and why is it only when they are making a program where mony is offered for storys that people sudenly come forward and say yes he did things to me back in 1965.
History may well record him as a sexual predator. It will also have to record the fact that he was unable to defend himself too. The man is dead.
what a waste of time and money which could be spent on bringing other criminals to justice that are still living why have these woman remained silent for so long and why now its not as if he can can be brought back from the dead to answer these allagations
I didnt like him r dislike the man but Innocent until proven guilty, Thats how a civilised society operates.
Why not say something before now. as for the people who say they knew or thought he was doing something to children shame on you for not reporting him to the police
The man is dead. It does not matter now what he did or did not do in life. We should accept he is beyond justice and beyond defending himself. The cynic in me wonders whether the alleged victims will be after some kind of state-sponsored compensation. Given that the accused cannot defend himself, is this the easy way to get state money now? If so then can I saw I was abused by Shakespeare, Elgar, Napoleon, Bodecea, Caligula and Aristotle? I'll be kind though and donate my 50p of compensation to Chelsea Barracks.
I suppose its easier to pursue 40 year old crimes committed by man who is now dead than face up to real crime on our streets today.
A few people have step forward to say they knew he was abusive to young girls. Some are famous and some are general members of the public. Shame on them for not saying anything in the 60s or 70s, if these allegations are true then they could have saved a number of young girls from abuse.
Who will volunteer to read him the charges? Complete waste of time and public money.
Are they going to dig him up and hang him like the royalists did to Oliver Cromwell? The time to make allegations was when the man was alive, are any of the accusers benefitting financially from the TV programme or are likely to receive criminal injuries compensation? Posthumous trial by television is cowardly as the dead can't sue.
don't get me wrong i am not condoning child molesters by any means .But why is this coming to light now when the guy is dead and cannot defend himself .If there was any truth to this why did they not pursue it years ago.?
Because they knew they wouldn`t get anywhere - you don`t when the perpetrators are rich and have friends in high places. They are only speaking out now because they realise they weren`t the only ones. It`s coming to light that they weren`t believed years ago and they should have been. At least its some sort of justice - imagine how it would be if the world carried on thinking JS was such a great guy.
Little can be done against him now. Those who have allegations have left too much time between alleged offence and complaint. An investigation will indicate whether further action could have been taken at the time. Counselling for those affected?
Surrey,sussex & jersey police questioned him on these allegations,not just one police force but 3,theres no smoke without fire!!
Why are the police bothering with this? What will they be investigating next - the alleged war crimes of Julius Caesar?
This comment has been removed for violations of our Terms and Conditions.
Met. police investigating....... Its sorted then??
It`s good this is coming out even if the man is dead. At least there will be more of an awareness of how much `bad` is done behind the plastic mask of goodness and how its not so unusual for paedophiles to gravitate to charities and those organisations purporting to do good works for children. Where better to catch ones prey than in the guise of a `do gooder`.