UK & World News
Dettori Suspended From Racing After Drug Test
Frankie Dettori has been temporarily suspended from racing in France due to this week's case over his positive drug test.
The 41-year-old jockey made his representation via conference call at the Medical Committee of the French racing authority, France Galop, in Paris on Tuesday.
However, the file has been passed on to the French stewards, who will pass judgement within a fortnight.
A statement from France Galop read: "Following yesterday's examination of the file and after having duly notified the jockey Lanfranco Dettori of its decision, the Medical Committee has temporarily suspended the said jockey from riding in races in France, based on medical grounds.
"According to article 143 of the Rules of Racing, the Medical Committee's report has been passed on to the France Galop stewards.
"The France Galop stewards will be studying the file within the next fortnight before deciding what action will be taken in accordance with the Rules of Racing."
Dettori's solicitor, Christopher Stewart-Moore, said the jockey will not be riding again anywhere until the France Galop stewards make a final decision on what course of action to take.
In a statement, Mr Stewart-Moore said: "Following today's announcement by France Galop setting out the conclusions of their medical committee, Frankie Dettori would like to say that he accepts their conclusions without reservation. He is grateful to the medical committee for their time and in particular for listening to his explanation of his position.
"As to the suspension of his licence in France, this is something which he fully anticipated and has not in any event ridden since November 6 when he honoured a pre-existing commitment to ride in the Melbourne Cup.
"He can now confirm that until the matter is resolved by the Stewards of France Galop at a hearing within the next fortnight he will not be riding again anywhere.
"Once the stewards of France Galop make their decision he will make a full statement but is unable to do so until such time as that final decision is announced."
Dettori had four rides at the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe trials meeting on September 16, after which the sample was returned.
He made headlines last month when his 18-year association with powerful owners Godolphin came to an end, with the three-time champion jockey planning to ride as a freelance in 2013.