UK & World News
Kenya: UK And US Helping Probe Of Mall
Experts from countries including the UK, the US and Israel are helping Kenyan authorities as the forensic investigation into the Nairobi mall massacre begins.
The death toll, currently at 67, is expected to rise as bodies are retrieved from beneath the rubble of three collapsed floors.
Specialists from Canada and Germany are also helping gather evidence and reconstruct what happened when militants from the Somalia-based al Shabaab group stormed the shopping centre on Saturday.
Explosives experts and sniffer dogs are also searching for booby traps in the wreckage.
Newly-released pictures show a gaping hole in the mall's roof and mounds of rubble.
The devastation was caused after soldiers fired rocket-propelled grenades and knocked out a support column, a Kenyan government official, speaking anonymously, told the AP news agency.
The official said soldiers fired to distract a sniper so that hostages could be evacuated.
Kenyan Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku said that a "forensic audit" - including fingerprinting, DNA testing and ballistic examination - was taking place at the mall and was expected to last at least seven days.
Sporadic gunfire could still be heard on Wednesday as Kenyan troops continued to move through the building.
"During sanitisation, once you take control of the place, if you go to a room where you haven't visited before you shoot first to make sure you aren't walking into an ambush," said government spokesman Manoah Esipisu.
"But there hasn't been any gunfire from the terrorists for more than 36 hours."
Al Shabaab has claimed the damage to the building was caused when security forces carried out "a demolition" during the raid, burying 137 hostages in rubble - an allegation strongly denied by the government.
The group also called on Kenya to pull its troops out of neighbouring Somalia or "face more bloodshed".
According to the AP news agency, it also said that foreigners were a "legitimate target" and confirmed that gunmen had tried to let Muslims go free.
In an email a spokesman reportedly said: "The Mujahideen carried out a meticulous vetting process at the mall and have taken every possible precaution to separate the Muslims from the Kuffar (disbelievers) before carrying out their attack."
At least 18 foreigners were killed as terrorists marched into the four-storey mall at midday on Saturday, shooting shoppers with machine guns and tossing grenades.
Six Britons - including an eight-year-old girl - are confirmed to be among them, but Defence Secretary Philip Hammond has warned there may be further British victims.
Work to establish the identities of the terrorists is under way - including whether one of them was a British woman.
Al Shabaab has denied a female was involved, but some Kenyan officials have suggested intelligence was received that at least one Briton and up to three Americans were with the attackers.
US Attorney General Eric Holder has said there is so far no verification that any Americans were involved.
Five attackers were killed during the siege and 10 suspects arrested on Sunday are being interrogated.
Sky News' Stuart Ramsay, in Nairobi, said at least five of those being held are understood to have been part of the initial attack group which sprayed bullets and then escaped the mall.
The rest are said to be part of the "support team".
He described how some of those in custody allegedly fled the scene by pretending to be members of the public and mixing in with people being evacuated.
"Multiple witnesses have said they saw gunmen put down weapons, change clothes and leave with ? people being guided out," Sky's Ramsay said.
"We know of one gentlemen who went to the police and said 'that man was involved in the shooting' - but he was ushered on."
He also described how the attackers positioned a sniper to repel soldiers as they attempted to enter the mall during the first day of the siege.
Kenya has begun three days of mourning for the victims of the attack.