UK & World News
KFC To Pay £5m For Poisoning Girl With Twister
KFC has been ordered to pay $8m (£5m) to the family of an Australian girl who was left with severe brain damage from salmonella poisoning.
Monika Samaan's family sued the fast food giant, claiming the source of her salmonella poisoning was a Chicken Twister she ate in 2005.
During a month-long trial in 2010, her father told the New South Wales Supreme Court he bought the wrap at the KFC outlet at Villawood in Sydney's west.
Monika, her parents and her brother ended up in hospital with salmonella poisoning after sharing her Twister.
But the then-seven-year-old remained in a coma for six months and acquired spastic quadraplegia with severe brain damage.
Justice Stephen Rothman has now ruled that KFC in Australia will have to pay $8m plus legal costs after the lengthy litigation case.
The family's lawyer George Vlahakis said: "Monika's severe brain damage and severe disability has already exhausted the very limited resources of the family.
"Monika is now a big girl and they are finding it increasingly difficult to lift her and to look after her basic needs as well as look after Monika's younger siblings.
"The compensation is very much needed. KFC have to date been determined that Monkia does not receive a cent."
Last week KFC indicated it will appeal against the Supreme Court decision that found it responsible for Monika Samaan's disability.
The fast food giant said it must uphold its reputation for being a provider of safe food in Australia.
That appeal has not yet been lodged.