UK & World News
Turkish Mine Disaster: Final Toll Reaches 301
The bodies of the last two miners killed in Turkey's worst industrial disaster have been recovered, bringing the final number of dead to 301.
The country's energy minister said the rescue operation at the mine would now be brought to a close as there were no further reports of missing people.
Families dispute the number of dead and have accused the government of a cover-up to hide the true scale of the disaster.
Energy minister Taner Yildiz said there would be one final search through the mine at Soma, 300 miles south west of Istanbul, before the rescue effort was officially ended.
The tragedy has triggered a number of protests across the country over poor industry safety procedures with claims mining bosses are putting profit ahead of workers.
Turkey has one of the worst records for industrial accidents.
On Friday in Soma riot police used tear gas and water cannon on protesters as several thousands gathered amid intensifying anger with the government.
There were further clashes in Istanbul and in the western city of Izmir, where scores of demonstrators were detained.
It follows footage which appeared to show Prime Minister Recep Erdogan slapping a man and his bodyguards then beating him during a visit to Soma.
Bosses at the mining company on Friday blamed a build-up of heat for causing the disaster, saying it caused a part of the mine to collapse which made a blaze spread rapidly under the surface.
Many claim the problem with the mining industry stems from Mr Erdogan's decision to privatise leases at the state-controlled mines.
They say businessmen, many with political connections, moved in determined to maximise profits at the expense of workers.
The government has said there had been 11 inspections at the mine in the past five years and denied there were loopholes in mining safety regulations.