UK & World News
Lee Rigby Killer Adebolajo Lodges Appeal
Michael Adebolajo, one of two men found guilty of murdering off-duty soldier Lee Rigby, is appealing his conviction.
The 29-year-old's decision follows his conviction along with co-defendant Michael Adebowale, 22, last month.
Adebolajo's brother, Jeremiah, told Sky News he knew of the application but did not want to comment on the details.
He said he was not aware anything had changed in his brother's outlook since he tried to justify his actions while giving evidence during the trial.
The pair, who had been lying in wait near Woolwich Barracks, assumed the 25-year-old was a soldier as he was wearing a Help for Heroes hooded top and carrying a camouflage rucksack.
The British Muslim converts ran Fusilier Rigby down in a car before hacking him to death with a meat cleaver and knives in a frenzied attack.
They dumped his body in the middle of the road close to the barracks in southeast London on May 22, 2013.
Shocking footage of Adebolajo, with bloodied hands confessing to the killing and claiming his actions were "an eye for an eye", was shown during the trial.
Both men were shot by police in scenes captured by CCTV.
Adebolajo was seen dropping the meat cleaver as he sprinted across the road towards a police car. He collapsed to the ground when he was shot.
Adebowale was seen folding over as he was shot by one of three armed officers.
Both men asked to be called by their adopted Islamic names in court - Adebolajo as Mujahid Abu Hamza, and Adebowale as Ismail Ibn Abdullah.
They claimed they carried out the murder because they were "soldiers of Allah".
Mr Justice Sweeney said he will sentence the pair after a key Court of Appeal ruling on the use of whole-life jail terms.
A date for the ruling has not been announced following a recent hearing before a panel of five leading judges.
:: Watch Sky News live on television, on Sky channel 501, Virgin Media channel 602, Freeview channel 82 and Freesat channel 202.