UK & World News
Leon Brittan Questioned Over Rape Claim
Former home secretary Leon Brittan was questioned by police last month over a historical allegation of rape, it has emerged.
The 74-year-old Conservative peer was interviewed by detectives under caution about the claim but was not arrested.
Lord Brittan is understood to have strongly denied the claims. His spokesperson said he would not be making a comment on Sunday.
At the time of the alleged incident, Lord Brittan was not an MP after unsuccessfully contesting the North Kensington seat in 1966.
Last night, a Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed an allegation of rape had been made against a man in his seventies over an incident in 1967.
He said: "In late 2012, a woman alleged to the Metropolitan Police Service that she was raped by a man in 1967 at an address in London.
"The woman was over the age of 18 at the time of the incident.
"The allegation is being investigated by officers from the Sexual Offences, Exploitation and Child Abuse Command.
"In June 2014, a man aged in his 70s was interviewed under caution by appointment at a central London location in connection with the allegation.
"He was not arrested. Enquiries continue."
Lord Brittan was home secretary in Margaret Thatcher's Conservative government between 1983 and 1985.
The police interview is said to have taken place at the London offices of law firm Mishcon de Reya.