UK & World News

  • 7 February 2013, 13:26

Man City's Meppen-Walter Admits Crash Charge

A Manchester City youth player has admitted causing the deaths of a brother and sister by careless driving.

Courtney Meppen-Walter crashed his Mercedes into a Nissan Micra in September, killing Kulwant Singh and Ravel Kaur and injuring Ms Kaur's two sons who were sitting in the back of the car.

Meppen-Walter, 18, who also played for England at under-17s level, admitted the charges at Manchester Magistrates Court and left without answering questions.

He will be sentenced by a judge at the city's Crown Court on February 28.

The prosecution told the bench how a police investigation had found the footballer had been speeding in a 30mph zone when the crash happened.

He was said to have been travelling at an average of 56mph in the moments before he collided with the Micra.

The court heard how Meppen-Walter, of Middleton Road, Blackley, tried to swerve around the car as it pulled out of a side street.

Advertisement