UK & World News
Man Dies After E-Cigarette Explodes Into Flames
A 62-year-old man has died after his e-cigarette exploded and ignited a home oxygen machine he is believed to have been using.
David Thomson's body was found in the living room of a property in Penkett Road, Wallasey, Merseyside.
An investigation by Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service found an e-cigarette that had been charging caught fire and ignited an oxygen concentrator, which may have been in use by the man.
There was a small amount of smoke damage to the property, but the fire was out by the time firefighters arrived.
An inquest will be held to determine the cause of death.
It is the ninth fire involving e-cigarettes on Merseyside alone this year, fire chiefs said.
Area manager Myles Platt, from MFRS, said: "The investigation into the cause of this fire is continuing but at this stage it is thought that the charging device being used at the time may not have been the one supplied with the e-cigarette.
"We urge people to always use electrical equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and guidance, always ensure that no electrical items are left charging overnight or left unattended for a long period when being charged and do not mix parts from different e-cigarettes.
"Only use the original charger or electrical cables supplied and ensure you purchase electrical items from a reputable source."