UK & World News
Man Dies After Four-Hour A&E Wait In Ambulance
Police are investigating the death of a man who was forced to wait more than four hours in an ambulance before he was admitted to a casualty department.
The 58-year-old died at Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend last Thursday.
The news of the death came on the same day a coroner in Wales called for urgent improvements in the way emergency calls are managed, and the handover of patients at casualty.
A statement from Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University NHS Trust said: "The patient was admitted to the department at 11am, and two hours later became suddenly very unwell.
"Despite efforts by staff to resuscitate him, he later died.
"Prior to being admitted to the department, the patient was in an ambulance, attended by paramedics, for over four hours.
"The Princess of Wales Hospital Emergency Department was extremely busy at the time, and unfortunately there were delays admitting patients as a result.
"The patient was assessed by a doctor while in the ambulance."
"The coroner has been informed of his death, and the health board is carrying out an urgent review of the case to ascertain what lessons can be learned, and if this very sad death could have been avoided."
In a separate case, a Welsh coroner said Fred Pring - who waited 48 minutes for an ambulance - may have survived if care had arrived within an eight-minute target response time.
Mr Pring, 74, from Flintshire, died at home in March last year - despite his wife making four desperate 999 calls.
The inquest heard on Monday that on the day of his death several ambulances were delayed because they were waiting to drop off patients, with one waiting five hours outside Wrexham Maelor Hospital.
Coroner John Gittins said urgent changes were needed if further deaths were to be avoided and said he would be contacting the relevant authorities.
:: Watch Sky News live on television, on Sky channel 501, Virgin Media channel 602, Freeview channel 82 and Freesat channel 202.