UK & World News
Man Dies After Winning Roach-Eating Contest
The winner of a cockroach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms.
About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.
Edward Archbold, 32, became ill shortly after the competition ended and collapsed in front of the shop, according to a Broward Sheriff's Office statement released on Monday.
He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities are waiting for results of a post-mortem to determine a cause of death.
"Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat," said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California.
"Some people do have allergies to roaches but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects."
None of the other contestants became ill, the sheriff's office said.
"We feel terribly awful," said shop owner Ben Siegel, who added that Mr Archbold did not appear to be sick before the contest.
"He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice," Mr Siegel said, adding that Mr Archbold was "the life of the party".
what do you think?
Ewww! Gross! How could anyone eat any bugs let a lone a cockroach.Thats just disgusting.I almost feel sorry for the bugs and i hate bugs
To the people that flamed me.Would you like to be eaten alive?This is why i feel sorry for the bugs.
d and d Phillips
Well, if people will do such silly things..............
Cause of death? Quite simple...the bugs have ate....No, I'm not that mean, I don't want to put everyone off breakfast :)
There are some nasty bugs going around at the moment!
Another Darwin awards contender.
I think this story is a bit hard to swallow.
Can you imagine having to do the autopsy and opening up his stomach? Some of them will still be alive....uuuuuuurrrrrrggggghhhhhhh, if that's how you spell ....uuuuuuurrrrrrggggghhhhhhh.
yuck!:-D Reminds me of something out of a horror film.I'll never understand the minds of some people
Well I was about to eat my lunch! Don't think I Will now!
Revenge of the 'roaches.
Alive? Live cockroaches? Well, you wouldn't want a stomach full of live cockroaches. I'll admit, I'm pretty stupid myself and always have been but let's see how my mind thinks: cockroach bites, search ... well, those photographs explain all I need to know.
I don't think they were still actually alive when they hit his stomach, were they? I don't want to be gruesome but wouldn't he have bitten off the heads first, or have I been watching too many celebs in the Jungle?
Bloody idiot! He got his just "desserts"! Cockroaches are vile creatures but that doesn't make it okay to eat them.
This comment has been removed for violations of our Terms and Conditions.
d and d Phillips
I knew Bill Roach. He seemed quite nice.
Silly bug ger,and first prize a python.what was he gonna do with that