UK & World News

  • 7 March 2014, 17:04

Man Sues Casino After $500k Loss 'While Drunk'

A businessman who lost $500,000 (298,000) in 17 hours of gambling at a Las Vegas casino is trying to get his money back by claiming he was too drunk to play.

Mark Johnston is suing the Downtown Grand for loaning him money and allowing him to play while he was intoxicated.

Nevada law bars casinos from allowing visibly drunk guests to continue to lay bets.

Mr Johnston's lawsuit says he was so drunk he could not remember the episode after waking up in his hotel room.

"I believed that they were just trying to take advantage of a player," Mr Johnston told CBS.

"If you're intoxicated, you're not allowed to gamble, they're supposed to stop you."

The 52-year-old arrived drunk at the casino and was plied with free alcoholic drinks while he gambled, according to the suit filed on February 18 in Nevada state court for Clark County.

The document described his mental state while gambling as a "blackout period".

The marathon session is said to have started on the night of January 30 and ran into the next afternoon at the casino in downtown Las Vegas, a few miles from The Strip.

Mr Johnston played pai gow and blackjack and was served about 20 drinks, according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit stated: "Mr Johnston, an experienced gambler, was dropping chips on the floor, confusing chip colours and slurring his speech badly, and he was unable to read his cards or set his hands properly."

Mr Johnston is a self-made millionaire who previously owned a number of car dealerships and was involved in real estate development, according to his lawyer.

The lawsuit accuses the casino of negligence, reckless endangerment, fraud and other wrongdoing.

A Grand spokeswoman has said the company does not comment on pending litigation.

:: Watch Sky News live on television, on Sky channel 501, Virgin Media channel 602, Freeview channel 82 and Freesat channel 202.

Advertisement