UK & World News
Marc Dutroux: Child Killer Denied Freedom
Serial paedophile child killer Marc Dutroux - one of Belgium's most notorious criminals - has been denied early release from prison for fear he might re-offend.
A Belgian court on Monday turned down a request by the 56-year-old to serve out the rest of his life sentence at home under electronic surveillance.
The court said there were "no grounds" for an early release, citing the "absence of any prospect that Dutroux" could be reintegrated into society.
The electrician had claimed he could find work as either a plumber or floor-layer.
But psychiatric, prison and judicial reports said this was not a realistic possibility, adding that where he would live was uncertain, while there was also a risk he might commit fresh crimes or harass his victims or their families.
Earlier, the murderer's mother had warned she feared he would re-offend if he was freed from prison early.
Speaking in an interview published just hours before the court decision on his parole, 78-year-old Jeannine Dutroux told Le Soir Magazine: "I am certain he will start again. He is a danger to society.
"Marc isn't ready to be released because he still wants to attribute to others the responsibility for what he did.
"He hasn't got any sense of reality. This is a repeat offender in his soul as he has already proved throughout his life."
Dutroux - dubbed the "monster of Charleroi" by the press - is serving a life term for kidnapping, torturing and abusing six young girls in 1995 and 1996, and murdering four of them, including two eight-year-olds.
The 56-year-old, who has been in prison for 16 years, launched a bid earlier this month for early release.
Under Belgian law, criminals can be freed after serving a third of their sentences, or after 15 years in the case of those who have been jailed for life.
Dutroux, who was arrested in 1996, was convicted and sentenced to life in 2004.
He had already served two extra years under a separate charge, allowing him to request early release this year.
Dutroux's case sent shockwaves through Belgium, not only because of the horrific nature of the murders, but also the police blunders.
Police searched one of Dutroux's houses while two eight-year-old victims were being held there, but left the premises without finding them.
The pair later starved to death in a makeshift dungeon.
Dutroux's former wife, Michelle Martin - who let two girls starve to death in the cellar while her husband was in jail for theft - was approved for early release in July and now lives in a convent.