UK & World News
Missing Boy Named As Sea Search Continues
A four-year-old boy who went missing in the sea off the Somerset coast after falling off a jetty has been named by police as Dylan Cecil.
An air and sea search for the boy, from Kettering, Northamptonshire, earlier changed to an operation to recover a body, the Coastguards said.
But the hunt has been scaled back this afternoon, with searches in deep water being called off. Authorities are continuing to look for the boy's body around the mudflats.
Dylan's parents frantically tried to rescue him after he entered the water on the south side of a slipway at Burnham-on-Sea on Sunday evening, but were unable to reach their son.
The youngster, who was dressed in a T-shirt and shorts, had been on the jetty with his parents, Rachel McCollum and Darren Cecil, and his two sisters.
Police said Dylan had wanted to get closer to the sea when he slipped off the edge and went under the water. It was high tide when he fell in.
His close family are being comforted as they remain at the scene, anxiously waiting for news.
Superintendent Keith McCoubrey said: "As you can all imagine this has been an extremely difficult time for the family who tried in vain to save him and were pulled from the water and treated by ambulance.
"They have been left traumatised by the whole incident and have asked that you to respect their privacy."
Four lifeboats, five coastguard rescue teams, police and the RAF helicopter have all been looking for Dylan.
Severn Sector Coastguard manager Tris Newey said the hunt is continuing on a smaller scale, but that it would inevitably have to be called off at some point - probably by the end of today.
"We've scaled back the search to some degree, but we will be out this afternoon with the Coastguard teams to look across the mud flats at low water," he said.
Asked about the chances of recovering the body, he said: "I think now the time has gone by it's getting quite remote but I'm hopeful that when it comes to low water, there's a chance we will still be able to find him."
Authorities said the search is being made more difficult by strong tides at Burnham-on-Sea. The water is also impossible to see through because it is full of mud.
On Sunday, a member of the public witnessed the family's desperate attempts to save their son and called the emergency services.
"The parents were in the water for quite a few minutes and they actually had to be pulled from the water by passers-by," Mr Newey said.
A Swansea Coastguard spokesman earlier confirmed the status of the operation: "The boy will have been in the water for 16 hours now. It is a recovery mission, and the search is continuing."
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency said a search - initially involving a helicopter, Coastguard rescue teams and two lifeboats - began after the alarm was raised.
A Coastguard spokesman said the air and sea search was scaled back at dusk but continued throughout the night, with more resources added at first light.