UK & World News
'Hamas Will Pay': Bodies Of Three Teens Found
The bodies of three Israeli teenagers who went missing in the occupied West Bank earlier this month have been found.
The discovery was made near the village of Halhul, close to where 16-year-olds Naftali Frenkel and Gilad Shaar and 19-year-old Eyal Yifrach disappeared on June 12.
Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, speaking before a three-hour meeting of his security cabinet, said: "Hamas is responsible. Hamas will pay."
He added the teenagers "were kidnapped and murdered in cold blood by wild beasts".
Since the discovery there have been a number of airstrikes on the Gaza Strip, including on the southern city of Khan Younis. There have been no reports of injuries.
Any Israeli action to punish Hamas for the alleged murders would open "the gates of hell," a spokesman said.
"If the occupiers carry out an escalation or a war, they will open the gates of hell on themselves."
Israel has accused the Palestinian group of abducting the youths as they were hitch-hiking home near Hebron late at night.
But Hamas, which runs the Gaza Strip, has denied it was involved in their disappearance.
There has reportedly been a large build-up of troops in Halhul, where security forces and Palestinians are said to have clashed.
A spokesman for the Israeli Defence Force (IDF) said they were "incidents of stone throwing, nothing more".
The teenagers' bodies were found buried under rocks in a field a few miles north of Hebron.
The trio had apparently been shot soon after they were taken, according to security officials.
Binyamin Proper, who was among a group of volunteers that found the bodies, told Channel 2 TV a member of the search party "saw something suspicious on the ground, plants that looked out of place, moved them and moved some rocks and then found the bodies".
"We realised it was them and we called the army," he said.
US President Barack Obama condemned the deaths as a "senseless act of terror against innocent youth" and British Prime Minister David Cameron said it was an "appalling and inexcusable act of terror".
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called it a "heinous act by enemies of peace".
Dozens of Palestinians have been detained in the search for Mr Frenkel from Nof Ayalon, who had dual Israeli-American citizenship, Mr Shaar from Telman and Mr Yifrach from Elad.
Among those held were a number of Hamas members of the Palestinian parliament and several prisoners recently released by Israel.
Sky's Tom Rayner, reporting from Jerusalem, said Israeli authorities "do not believe they (the youths) have been held for any period of time as hostages. They believe they were killed very quickly".
The teenagers were all students at a Yeshiva, or religious school, in Gush Etzion, a Jewish settlement bloc just south of the Palestinian city of Bethlehem.
Mr Netanyahu had said the alleged abductions were the result of this month's power-sharing deal between the Palestinian factions of Hamas and Fatah.