UK & World News
Missing Yachtsmen: Coastguard In New Search
The US Coastguard has resumed its search for a yacht that is thought to have capsized with four Britons on board.
News emerged of the decision after more than 150,000 people signed an online petition, demanding the hunt for the Cheeki Rafiki and its crew was relaunched.
An area of more than 4,000 square miles in the Atlantic Ocean had been scoured by the coastguard last Friday and Saturday.
But it could not find any sign of Andrew Bridge, 22, James Male, 23, Steve Warren, 52, and 56-year-old Paul Goslin, whose 40ft yacht ran into difficulties 620 miles from Cape Cod, Massachusetts, on Thursday.
The search, involving US and Canadian aircraft as well as commercial vessels, was called off early on Sunday after 53 hours amid treacherous weather.
Relatives of the four men welcomed the decision to begin searching again - as the number of people who signed the petition rose to over 220,000 by Tuesday evening.
Graham Male, father of James, expressed his thanks to the UK, US and Canadian governments, coastguards, and those who had signed the petition.
He added: "Now let's bring our loved ones home."
Mr Warren's sister, Kay Coombes, told Sky News: "I was on the phone to the US Coastguard and I was quite firm with them and asked to speak to somebody that could help me (and who I could ask) why they weren't searching.
"I was put on hold for a few minutes and they came back to say they had decided to start searching again.
"They said to me a plane would be in the air within the hour and also that they were also talking to the air force and the Canadians to see what resources they could spare.
"People-power has been amazing. We've moved a mountain today."
Mr Bridge's grandmother, Valerie, said: "We are delighted. It is at least something and that is all we were asking for, all we wanted was another search.
"It might not come to anything but people want them to do it and they are trying. It seemed too quick, just two days and we were saying 'if only they could do it (search) for a bit longer'. You never know what could happen."
Mr Robertson said: "The UK Government has been in constant contact with our US colleagues.
"I'd like to thank the US Coastguard for what they have done thus far, and to assure everybody that the UK Government will do everything possible to try and locate these missing yachtsmen."
Prime Minister David Cameron said: "My thanks to the US Coastguard, which has resumed its search for our missing yachtsmen."
The Cheeki Rafiki crew had sent out locator beacons 1,000 miles east of Massachusetts and the coastguard estimated the survival time for the Britons was 20 hours after "the time of distress".
An overturned hull of a yacht matching the description of the vessel was spotted and photographed by a cargo ship, Maersk Kure, assisting the search.
The families of the men insist they would have had time to escape onto a life raft.
Contact with the vessel, which was returning to the UK from a regatta in Antigua, was lost in the early hours of Friday as it diverted to the Azores.