UK & World News
Mortal Kombat Drug: Warning After Girl Dies
A teenager has died and four others have been taken to hospital after apparently taking a drug called 'Mortal Kombat'.
Police in Scotland say the drug - thought to be an ecstasy-type compound - is distributed in red tablets with a dragon imprinted upon them.
Regane MacColl, 17, from Clydebank, collapsed after taking the drug while at The Arches nightclub in central Glasgow on Saturday.
She died in hospital on Sunday.
A further three men and one woman were also admitted to hospital in separate incidents over the weekend after feeling unwell from taking drugs.
One woman, aged 19, was admitted to Glasgow Royal Infirmary on Saturday night and three men aged 18, 26 and 27 were taken to Crosshouse Hospital in Kilmarnock on Friday night.
Police said early stage enquiries have revealed the Mortal Kombat tablet is thought to be the common link between the incidents.
Mortal Kombat has so far referred to a combination of mephedrone and ketamine, according to the Urban Dictionary.
But it is thought this drug may be different.
Tests are being carried out to establish exactly what the drug contains but the results may take some time.
The incidents come days after police issued a warning over other pink ecstasy-type tablets with the Superman logo on one side which were found to contain methoxyamphetamine (PMA).
PMA has previously been connected to a number of serious adverse reactions and fatalities.
The incidents have prompted police and health workers to issue a general warning about the dangers of drugs.
Detective Inspector Sharon MacGregor said: "I can't stress enough how dangerous drugs are, sadly a young woman has died and several other young people are ill in hospital.
"Illicit drugs are unstable, unpredictable and extremely dangerous as this outcome shows, often the content of the drugs is unknown but they could contain dangerous chemicals and people need to understand the devastating effect they can have.
"I would strongly advise people to avoid illicit drugs and report any information to the police."
Mr James Stevenson, A&E consultant with Ayrshire and Arran, added: "People who choose to take drugs are playing Russian roulette with their life.
"They have no way of knowing what they are taking, and as a result, some of them will die.
"I would appeal to young people, don't believe what you're being told by someone giving you drugs.
"There's no such thing as a safe, illicit drug, you could be swallowing anything.
"You can't tell what's in it by looking at it."
:: Watch Sky News live on television, on Sky channel 501, Virgin Media channel 602, Freeview channel 82 and Freesat channel 202.