UK & World News
Mubarak Back In Court After Prison Release
Egypt's former president Hosni Mubarak has appeared in court to answer charges in connection with the killing of protesters in 2011.
It was the 85-year-old's first court appearance since he was released from prison last week and transferred to a military hospital.
Mubarak appeared at a heavily fortified courtroom in eastern Cairo in a wheelchair, wearing sunglasses and dressed in white.
He sat next to his two sons, Gamal and Alaa, and his former security chief Habib al Adly, who are being tried in a separate corruption-related case.
Around a dozen of the ousted leader's supporters gathered outside the court holding placards and chanting: "Hosni Mubarak is the most honourable Arab, Hosni Mubarak is close to our hearts".
Mubarak has been in detention since April 2011.
He was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison last year for failing to stop the killing of around 900 protesters in the 18-day uprising, but his sentence was overturned on appeal.
In April, his retrial opened along with those of his security chief and six top police commanders.
His next hearing has been scheduled for September 14.
Defence lawyer Magdy Hafez said: "The court is moving in its natural course, the court does not have to go into reasons for its primary decisions.
"The court adjourned to September 14th to listen to the rest of the demands of the defence team regardless of whether they have looked at the documents or not."
In another courtroom across the city, three leaders of the Muslim Brotherhood faced a separate trial on similar charges of involvement in the killing of protesters.
With Egypt now under an army-installed government after last month's overthrow of president Mohamed Morsi, local media seized on the symbolism of scheduling both sessions on the same day.
The al Shorouk daily newspaper ran with the headline: "Trial of two regimes".
Mohamed Badie, the Brotherhood's supreme leader, and his deputies did not appear at the opening of their trial for security reasons, a judicial source said.
The court postponed proceedings until October 29.