UK & World News

  • 7 November 2012, 22:26

Murder Suspect Released By Mistake In Georgia

A manhunt is under way in Georgia for a murder suspect who was mistakenly, but "lawfully" set free following a mix-up with some paperwork.

Quinton Jones, 32, had been scheduled to appear in court to face charges overthe shooting of 29-year-old La Maurice Westbrook in June 2011.

But Jones, who was re-indicted on new charges in the case on October 19, walked out of Atlanta's Fulton County Jailon October 20 after the new indictment papers failed to reach prison officials.

In a statement issued to WSB-TV, Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said jail officials released Jones "on the basis of the dead docketed, or original indictment, instead of holding him on the newest indictment in the system".

The Fulton County Sheriff's Office denied any wrongdoing, saying Jones had been "lawfully" released based on the documents provided - and that his release took place before the new indictment papers reached jail officials.

A bench warrant has been issued for Jones' arrest.

Tracy Flanagan, a spokesperson for the Fulton County Sheriff's Office, told Sky News the department's fugitive unit had no fresh leads on Jones' whereabouts.

Jones, who was originally arrested on September 29, 2011, faces several charges in connection with Mr Westbrook'sdeath.

These include aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, felony murder, criminal attempt to commit a robbery and possession of a firearm by a convicted criminal.

Advertisement