UK & World News

  • 23 February 2014, 15:39

New York Restaurant Gas Poisoning Kills Manager

A restaurant manager has died and dozens of other people were taken to hospital after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning.

Most of those affected were staff at the eatery but three police officers and four ambulance workers also became ill.

Manager Steven Nelson was found unconscious by police in the basement of the Legal Sea Foods restaurant in New York's Long Island.

Officers went there after responding to a call about a woman who had fallen and hit her head.

When the emergency services arrived, they began to feel nauseous, dizzy and lightheaded and suspected a carbon monoxide leak.

Police said the incident seemed to have been confined to the basement and the leak appeared to be connected to the heating system.

Mr Nelson, 55, died of a cardiac arrest as he was being taken to hospital by ambulance.

Twenty-seven other people affected by carbon monoxide were treated in hospital. Most were reportedly later released.

A police statement said the investigation was focusing on the restaurant's heating equipment, adding homicide and arson squad detectives were investigating the case.

The Legal Sea Foods eatery is at the Walt Whitman shopping centre in Huntington Station. It is in a detached building that is part of the mall.

Two nearby restaurants were also evacuated.

In a Twitter message, the Legal Sea Foods company said they were "profoundly saddened" to learn about Mr Nelson's death.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family," the message read.

:: Watch Sky News live on television, on Sky channel 501, Virgin Media channel 602, Freeview channel 82 and Freesat channel 202.

Advertisement